The title of this post pretty much sums it up. As I mentioned last week, I’ve decided to spend the remainder of 2017 reviewing my goals and intentions and figuring out how far behind I am + what I can do to make it up before 12:01 AM strikes on January 1st.
The first project was to tackle my 5-Year plan. It was in sore need of an update as quite a bit has changed for me. If you head over there now, it looks fairly different than it did at the start of 2017, but that’s okay. Life changes us, it changes our priorities, our desires. To me, an overhaul of the plan represents the growth I’ve (hopefully) experienced this year.
This is actually Year Two in the plan I put into motion in 2016. Let’s review my original thoughts for the year, shall we?
Pay off remaining debt: I did do this thing. I did it faster than anticipated (thank you random bonus!) and was so relieved once that final payment finished processing. BUT. I guess I didn’t appreciate that feeling of freedom enough, because I jumped right back into the pit and took on a car payment. I will say, the car has proven itself to be quite the blessing, but it came with shackles and I’m not sure if it was my brightest idea.
Continue in school, working towards my AA in Human Services: I did take a couple more courses, but then I quit again. A couple of weeks ago, I blogged about my life as a 4-Time College Drop-Out and why I’m beginning to think maybe college isn’t for me.
Complete the German Mango Languages course: Nope.
Walk/run a 5k: Notta.
Complete the Couch to 5k exercise plan: Yeah, no.
Establish an exercise routine that sticks: Take a guess? Did you say “No”? You’re right.
Finish writing the ebook on Chronic Illness, then self-publish: I made progress on this one and added a couple of chapters. That said, it’s certainly not finished, beta-tested, or published.
Visit Prince Edward Island with my grams: I DID THE THING! Grams I went to the island in early October. Can you say wow? That place is stunning.
Visit 1-2 never been states: Knocked this one out of the park – visited 6 states on my list +21 state revisits. Hello beautiful, US of A. 🙂
Begin fundraising and planning for Undignified Event 2018: I’ve had a few brainstorming sessions and redesigned the website, but that’s as far as I got.
Become a more consistent blogger and transfer to self-hosting or upgrade WP plan: L.O.L. Okay, so I did upgrade my WordPress plan (which is why those pesky ads are gone), but I have been anything other than consistent.
Participate in/win NaNoWriMo: I participated. I really did! But then I gave up. I know there are still 9 more days of opportunity, and I could technically win as I only need 37,000 more words (4,112 words a day is totally doable) but………
As for my 2017 | A Year of Self-Care goals…
The following are the items that remain unchecked on my list (you’ll notice some repetitiveness as a lot of these were pulled from my 5-year plan) :
- Pay off remaining debt
- Save more money for the future (read: travel, emergencies, new-to-me car)
- Self Growth
- Start studying German again
- Finish writing the first draft of my e-book
- Walk/Run a 5k
- Gluten-free all year
- Third Quarter: July, August, September – I fell off the bandwagon…
- Fourth Quarter: October, November, December – I’m still off it…
- Only drink soda once a week
- Use previously mentioned gym membership – One time, then decided to cancel as it was so awkward
- Keep up with Doctor/Dental appointments all year long
- Check into getting braces and make decision once and for all
- Fix that posture girl
- Gluten-free all year
I’m going to be real here, a lot of this still applies to my life but isn’t very likely to be accomplished by 2018. So I’ve compiled a list of tasks that are achievable, and hopefully will be achieved, by the new year. These tasks are more specific and less “in general” than most of what we’ve just review. Hopefully that helps my success rate climb a little higher..
- Start the German Mango Languages course – just one lesson and I can cross this off.
- Walk 10 miles. That’s 2 per week that remains this year, it’s totally doable.
- Write 1,000 words for the chronic illness e-book.
- Write a minimum of 5 more blog posts (this counts as one 😉 ) so that one post goes up every week that remains this year.
- Make lady doctor, dentist, and eye doctor appointments for December and/or January (based on availability).
That’s it. With those five steps, I’ll feel like I’ve accomplished something that kind of sort of realigns me with where I’m supposed to be right now.
This post is getting long, so I’m going to sign off here with promises that more exciting goal-posts are coming soon (minor sarcasm used with the term “exciting”).
What are some things you’d like to accomplish before the year is up?